All Drama All of the Time
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discuss and debate all subjects, including abortion, teen pregnancy, euthanasia, and politics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Is it okay to clone embryos to use in research?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Is it okay to clone embryos to use in research? Empty
PostSubject: Is it okay to clone embryos to use in research?   Is it okay to clone embryos to use in research? EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 5:21 pm

Embryonic stem cell researchers have devised ways in which they can get embryos without using embryos made from sperm and egg, in order to quell the protests from certain groups.

Do you have any qualms about using these embryos for research?
Back to top Go down
https://alldrama.rpg-board.net
Negative Overload

PostSubject: Re: Is it okay to clone embryos to use in research?   Is it okay to clone embryos to use in research? EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 12:18 pm

I think this would not be a bad idea, honestly. It would be preferable to using new ones each time, I should think. I imagine some people think it equals playing God and making life, although I don't have that particular issue.
I wonder if they will work just as well as naturally created cells?

----------------------
Inquiring minds....are inquiring.
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: Is it okay to clone embryos to use in research?   Is it okay to clone embryos to use in research? EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 8:44 am

By natural do you mean just those cells derived from embryos made from egg and sperm?
Back to top Go down
Negative Overload

PostSubject: Re: Is it okay to clone embryos to use in research?   Is it okay to clone embryos to use in research? EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 11:46 am

Yes, I meant those created naturally, via fertilization, vs. those cloned. I don't know that there would be any difference, but I'm not well-versed in cloning so I could be wrong.

-----------------------
Although I'd be happy to clone myself and let him go to work today...
Back to top Go down
EiriForLife

PostSubject: Re: Is it okay to clone embryos to use in research?   Is it okay to clone embryos to use in research? EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 12:34 pm

Admin wrote:
Embryonic stem cell researchers have devised ways in which they can get embryos without using embryos made from sperm and egg, in order to quell the protests from certain groups.

Do you have any qualms about using these embryos for research?
Nope! The only problem that may evolve is the fact that currently, our clones tend to be less healthy than the originals (Dolly the sheep wasn't healthy). I personally think that unwanted embryos from IVF should be used - with parental permission or if the embryos have not been spoken for and are reaching expiration. A few clones can be made but once you start cloning the clone of a clone, bad things happen.

Right now, thousands of embryos are dying because no one wants them...
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: Is it okay to clone embryos to use in research?   Is it okay to clone embryos to use in research? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 5:59 pm

Eiri, I'm glad you are not on the pro-life side of this issue!
Back to top Go down
EiriForLife

PostSubject: Re: Is it okay to clone embryos to use in research?   Is it okay to clone embryos to use in research? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 7:26 pm

futureshock wrote:
Definitely not! In consider it to be just like organ donation. Embryos that have never been inside a woman and were created by science, and are going to slowly die in cold storage... they need to be made useful.
Back to top Go down
Erulissė

PostSubject: Re: Is it okay to clone embryos to use in research?   Is it okay to clone embryos to use in research? EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 3:32 pm

EiriForLife wrote:
futureshock wrote:
Definitely not! In consider it to be just like organ donation. Embryos that have never been inside a woman and were created by science, and are going to slowly die in cold storage... they need to be made useful.

then what's the difference?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it okay to clone embryos to use in research?   Is it okay to clone embryos to use in research? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is it okay to clone embryos to use in research?
Page 1 of 1